You may be shocked that 45% of organizations lack a clearly defined digital strategy. Yet, in today’s fast-paced digital landscape, having a high-performing digital marketing team and strategy is crucial to staying relevant and competitive.
In this article, I’ll explore five strategies you should consider when assembling a team that can adapt and excel in the ever-evolving digital landscape. These key points are promoting continuous learning, diverse skill sets, strong communication, and clear goals.
Define Clear Roles & Responsibilities
SEO, Content Marketing, Analytics, Paid Media, and Strategy are only a few sectors that may encompass your digital strategy. Having clearly defined roles and responsibilities is an effective way of ensuring a high-performing and on-task team. A team that understands their role is ultimately more productive and efficient. When your team members understand their roles and what needs to be done, they are more likely to take the initiative and handle tasks as they come, which can be hugely beneficial for meeting deadlines and objectives. Here are a few ways that you can begin to develop and assign these roles:
1. Figure out what needs to be done
I recommend starting by creating a list of objectives or tasks you wish to complete and steps to accomplish them. After creating the list, make sure to account for any ongoing or completed projects before beginning to delegate them to your team.
2. Strengths & weaknesses
What are the strengths and weaknesses of your team? Does one member have strong skills in writing and the other data analysis? Consider these skill sets when beginning to distribute responsibilities and assign them accordingly.
3. Collect feedback & optimize
Perseverance is the most important quality of a successful business, which also means that you can take on challenges and adapt to changing circumstances. Ask your employees for feedback, find out what worked and what didn’t, and continue improving!
Hire a Diverse Skill Set
You must consider hiring a diverse skill set when building a high-performing digital marketing team. The digital marketing strategy for your business will need to constantly be adapted and improved as you seek to interact with and engage your target audience. For example, an e-commerce platform that sells sports equipment might be pushing more content on social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram to build an audience, requiring the help of the Content Manager, Social Media Manager, and Paid Media Specialists. In contrast, a B2B SaaS business might target large corporations and teams via rankings on Google and LinkedIn, which typically requires the help of professionals with differing skill sets and experience. Here are some of the common skills that successful digital marketing professionals have:
- Data Analysis
- Content Creation
- Social Media Management
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Paid Advertising
- Email Marketing
- Marketing Automation
- Public Relations
- Analytics Tools
- Brand Management
- Market Research
- CRM Management
- Strategic Planning
- Creative Thinking
- Project Management
- Content Marketing
- Communication Skills
- Sales Funnel Optimization
- Influencer Marketing
- Ad Copywriting
A common expression is ‘to not place all your eggs in one basket,’ which, for example, means don’t hire a team composed of only copywriters and content creators but strive for balance with those skilled in both analytical and creative roles. If you’re struggling to find agencies and contractors with the necessary skills for your business, consider booking a call with CJAM to benefit from our network of vetted professionals. We work hard to match our clients with partners that understand their industry, company, and role!
You might want to read: Outsourced Marketing – why and how to get started
Promote Continuous Learning
Encouraging team members to engage in ongoing learning not only keeps them updated with the latest strategies and tools but also fosters a culture of adaptability and innovation. Platforms, algorithms, and new techniques constantly evolve as the landscape changes, making it imperative to stay up-to-date and fresh.
Whether mastering a new social media algorithm, staying informed about the latest SEO best practices, or understanding new data analytics tools, continuous learning empowers team members to bring fresh insights and approaches. Team members committed to ongoing education and self-improvement not only expand their skill sets but also become more adept at applying them in real-world scenarios.
Here are a few ways that you can stay current and up-to-date with the latest changes in digital marketing:
- Follow Industry Blogs and Websites: Industry-specific blogs and websites provide valuable insights and information to help you stay informed.
- Join Digital Marketing Communities: Digital marketing communities and forums enable you to connect with like-minded professionals, share knowledge, and seek advice.
- Attend Webinars & Online Courses: Webinars and online courses are virtual learning opportunities that help you stay up-to-date with the latest strategies and tools.
- Listen to Podcasts: Subscribe to digital marketing podcasts to gain expert insights, learn about industry best practices, and stay inspired.
- Subscribe to Newsletters: Digital marketing newsletters provide curated content, news, and updates directly to your inbox.
- Follow Social Media Channels: Twitter and LinkedIn allow you to keep track of real-time discussions, trends, and news.
- Attend Conferences and Workshops: Participate in industry conferences and workshops to network with professionals, attend sessions, and gain hands-on experience with the latest marketing tools and technologies.
- Explore Industry Reports: Industry reports and research publications offer statistical data and analyses for strategic decision-making within many marketing sectors..
- Read Books: Consider reading books by digital marketing experts and thought leaders.
- Monitor Competitors: Analyze their strategies, campaigns, and tactics to gain inspiration and stay competitive.
Note: Behdad loves Neil Patel’s marketing blog!
Navigating through these suggestions above might appear daunting, but the good news is that you don’t need to be reading every book or listening to every podcast. Instead, focus on those that align best with your preferred learning style and how you absorb information most effectively. The key to success lies in maintaining consistency and a commitment to ongoing self-improvement, continuously upgrading your knowledge and honing your skills over time.
Effective Communication & Collaboration
Effective communication is pertinent to any successful team, especially in digital marketing. Clear, consistent, and transparent communication is the key to ensuring that the entire team is well-informed, aligned, and working towards shared goals.
- Clear Communication: When team members understand what is expected of them, what the objectives are, and how their tasks fit into the bigger picture, they can work more effectively. Ambiguity can lead to confusion and errors, so it’s crucial to articulate ideas, expectations, and strategies straightforwardly.
- Concise Communication: Concisely providing information ensures that the essential points are highlighted, reducing the risk of overwhelming team members with unnecessary details.
- Coherent Communication: Communication should follow a structured narrative that is logical and coherent.
Remember that balance is still necessary, and overcommunication can lead to information fatigue, while too little communication can result in team members feeling disconnected. Actions like regular team meetings for strategic discussions and project management tools for task-specific updates can create balance and consistency in your communication.
Transparency with your team is another important aspect of good communication. Transparency is about sharing the overarching goals, strategy, tactics employed, progress made, results achieved, valuable lessons learned, and strategic steps forward. Nurturing a culture of sharing as you assemble your marketing team is a recipe for high performance. A lack of transparency can lead to blame culture, which often entails finger-pointing, where identifying the culprit takes precedence over addressing and resolving issues proactively.
Set Clear Goals & Metrics (KPIs)
Setting specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) goals guarantees everyone is clear on what they are working towards and can measure the progress effectively. KPIs, on the other hand, provide quantifiable metrics that help gauge the success of particular marketing campaigns and strategies. When goals and KPIs are well-defined, it’s easier to track performance, adjust plans when needed, and maintain a shared vision amongst the team.
Here are a few examples of SMART goals as discussed in smartinsights.com:
- Audit objective: Review all in-house white papers relating to digital transformation and identify top 3 priorities to update next quarter.
- Digital traffic objective. Achieve 10% more traffic from a key channel or country within two years.
- MQL objective: Increase demo bookings from email channels.
- Acquisition objective. Acquire 50,000 new online customers this financial year at an average cost per acquisition (CPA) of £30 with an average profitability of £5.
- Conversion objective. Increase the average order value of online sales to £42 per customer.
- Engagement objective. Increase active customers purchasing at least once a quarter to 300,000 in a market (a hurdle rate metric).
Work With CJAM
Staying updated on recent trends and best practices can be a challenging endeavour, given the vast amount of information available online. For business owners aspiring to build a high-performing digital marketing team, it’s integral to have access to reliable and trustworthy sources of guidance. Whether you require support in SEO, content marketing, paid media, or social media, we’ve collaborated with agencies and contractors who specialize in these areas.
Gain exclusive access to our network of thoroughly vetted agencies and contractors with just one free call. Don’t delay – book your free consultation today and embark on the journey toward leveling up your marketing team!
Learn about the best marketing agencies we find.
I vet hundreds of agencies and share which ones are unique and do things well. Plus valuable marketing information. Don’t miss out.